Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Let The Run Happen

My last run was on July 27, so when 12:00 PM finally rolled around, I grabbed my bag and darted out for my lunchtime run. I had no idea where I was running to today; I just knew I had to get it in. The plan was to run an easy 4 miles in deference to the 13-mile training run that I’ll be embarking on tomorrow AM.

The weather in Washington, D.C. has been brutal. But today was a treat, no humidity a slight breeze, and the temperature was about 85 degrees. I took off headed towards the White House. I focused on my alignment, my breathing, and my foot strike and reminded myself how much I love running. I’m reading ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running, in preparation for a ChiRunning workshop that I’m taking on August 22. Basically, the ChiRunning method focuses on making running an effortless endeavor. Although I’ve only scratched the surface of the book, I can see how what I’ve learned so far is helping me become a better runner.


I blazed through my first mile at a pace of 8:11. That’s the fastest mile I’ve run since recovering my last injury, and the thing is, I felt great! I didn’t even realize I was running at a faster pace until my Garmin rang out that I’d completed one mile. When I saw the pace, I was both thrilled and terrified. I backed off it a bit, in hopes that I could sustain it.

From that point, I just let the run happen. I took in the sights of the city, and I even stopped at the Corcoran Gallery of Art to snap a photo of a father and son. When it was all said and done, I'd run 3.67 miles at an average pace of 8:52 and I felt incredible! It was a glorious run, and tomorrow will be too, all 13 miles of it.

May you run effortlessly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment